About Me

My photo
I grew up in Small Town, Nebraska, feeling sheltered by the 'safety' of it all. When I moved to Big City, Nebraska, I felt like the world was my oyster. However, I soon felt like there was much more for me Out There... I moved to Chicago, thinking I was done with this 'little' state. It took living in a true big city to realize that Lincoln is just an oversized small town... and it's where I belong! I'm blessed to have a wonderful husband who understands me and all my oddities. My kids are young enough to still think I'm cool. Beyond that, who cares, right?

Friday, September 02, 2011

A Little At a Time is Okay

I was cleaning out the shower (which I HATE doing—I mean, I hate doing laundry, it’s a chore, and I’ll whine about it ‘til the day I die, but scrubbing the shower is the one household duty I completely and utterly avoid until I can’t let it go any longer—it’s the worst!), and I was thinking, “I really need to blog more.” I’ve been thinking that a lot lately, but you may have noticed, nothing has come from my thinking that…. I think I went the whole summer without a single blog entry. It’s not that I didn’t try. I think I tried one or two times to write something, and I went days with my blog open, as if having that tab open would entice me to write something. (When, in fact, it only made me feel guilty for wasting that space on my browser with a tab I knew I wasn’t going to use!)
All of a sudden, as sweat dripped down my neck and back and I was submerged in a cloud of Comet, it came to me: WHO am I writing this blog for? Is there some homework assignment I’m writing it for? (No.) Do I have thousands of fans hanging on every word I say, waiting all hours of the day and night to see new entries? (Uh, no.) Although I may have one or two faithful readers (hi Mom! hi Aunt Sue!), I don’t think anyone else ever even takes a peek at this thing. I’m writing it for ME. It’s MY blog!!!
With that realization, I decided, if I want to write something long and drawn out and fantastic, I’m certainly free to do so. But I don’t have to wait until I have something terribly important to say, because it’s MY blog. If I just have a thought that cracks me up for a moment and I want to jot it down, that’s okay, too. I don’t have to make sure I get in 500 words or more. It’s okay to drop by here quickly, make a comment or two, and take off again.
I feel so liberated! I’d been holding off on making any entries lately, because I put this stigma on myself, feeling that I had to wait to write something until I had something incredible to say. Duh! What-EVAH!!!!  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tracy....glad you are back blogging!
Love ya,
Aunt Sue