About Me

My photo
I grew up in Small Town, Nebraska, feeling sheltered by the 'safety' of it all. When I moved to Big City, Nebraska, I felt like the world was my oyster. However, I soon felt like there was much more for me Out There... I moved to Chicago, thinking I was done with this 'little' state. It took living in a true big city to realize that Lincoln is just an oversized small town... and it's where I belong! I'm blessed to have a wonderful husband who understands me and all my oddities. My kids are young enough to still think I'm cool. Beyond that, who cares, right?

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Almost Summer Vacation

I know it’s crazy, but I always get to this point of the year and am SO excited for the kids to be done with school! No more waking up early, trying to light the fire under everyone’s butt to get them moving, dropping off and picking up, cracking the whip to get that pesky homework done, making lunches, signing permission slips, helping with last minute projects, etc.

I’m pumped to sleep in a bit, get the kids to the pool, do a few picnics, go to the zoo, go on family trips. There’s such a relaxed atmosphere, no more tight schedules to follow. I love it! Summer is the best!

Unfortunately, I know this feeling won’t last. There will come a time, about three weeks before school is due to start, when I become very anxious and can not WAIT for school to start again. As much as I love the reckless, willy-nilly manner in which we’ll have been living for the past several weeks, I know I’ll be craving some structure in my life. I also know that the only way to get my kids to continue to appreciate each other is to get them to spend a LOT less time together. School is our salvation! My kids need the structure, as do I, and they need to spend times with other people, as do I. I know it’ll be rough, but come August, we’ll be ready for the challenge!

For now, though, I look forward to those lazy hours by the pool with my kids, sitting and chatting with my sister-in-laws, grilling out, road trips, and most of all, healing sunshine!!!

No comments: