About Me

My photo
I grew up in Small Town, Nebraska, feeling sheltered by the 'safety' of it all. When I moved to Big City, Nebraska, I felt like the world was my oyster. However, I soon felt like there was much more for me Out There... I moved to Chicago, thinking I was done with this 'little' state. It took living in a true big city to realize that Lincoln is just an oversized small town... and it's where I belong! I'm blessed to have a wonderful husband who understands me and all my oddities. My kids are young enough to still think I'm cool. Beyond that, who cares, right?

Friday, April 21, 2006

Another "Fun" Quote

I had a friend point out, today, after I sent her a spiritual e-mail, that she was pleased that I would reveal that side of myself to her. I'm absolutely THRILLED that she would take it that way, and I'm utterly ASHAMED that I hide that "side" of myself away from most people. What has our society come to, today, that I don't feel comfortable sharing my spirituality with people? Why am I feeling afraid to let people know where I stand on certain issues? There was an article in the paper a few days before Easter that really hit home for me. It was going over this same subject. Basically, we (as a society, and the media especially) have to tread lightly to make sure we don't offend someone who is either not religious or is of some other belief than Christianity. It was pointed out that we'd better not make any negative comments (or drawings) with regards to Islam. And certainly, we HAVE to respect and commend those who are making the movie based on "The Da Vinci Code"--need I remind everyone that the work is fiction? Yet, as this person writing the article pointed out, being a Christian is going to start needing warnings or disclaimers like those associated with certain drugs (side effects may include nausea, vomiting, headaches, dizziness, etc.), except it'll go more like this: "The side effects of believing in Jesus may include loss of friends, disrespect by the academic and journalistic communities and damage to one's career, not to mention a complete change in the life to which one has become comfortably accustomed." -Cal Thomas, Tribune Media Services. I was outraged that my husband's company offered an "egg hunt" for our children and those of other employees to participate in. An "egg hunt"? What the heck is that? They weren't "allowed" to call it an "Easter egg hunt", because they were worried about offending those who are not religious. Excuse me?!? Since when have EGGS been a part of the religious aspect of Easter? Did Jesus rise from the dead, leave his tomb and discover a little bunny distributing eggs everywhere? I think not! I guess if people are seriously that non-religious or non-spiritual (dare I say atheistic or agnostic?), then why would they want to take part in an egg hunt anyway? Did their pagan gods believe in some bunny handing out eggs? I'm surprised, really, that they still allowed someone, at this egg hunt, to dress up in a bunny costume. What kind of bunny was he? I'm curious. Was he the Vernal Equinox Bunny?

No comments: