About Me

My photo
I grew up in Small Town, Nebraska, feeling sheltered by the 'safety' of it all. When I moved to Big City, Nebraska, I felt like the world was my oyster. However, I soon felt like there was much more for me Out There... I moved to Chicago, thinking I was done with this 'little' state. It took living in a true big city to realize that Lincoln is just an oversized small town... and it's where I belong! I'm blessed to have a wonderful husband who understands me and all my oddities. My kids are young enough to still think I'm cool. Beyond that, who cares, right?

Friday, January 19, 2007

One Day at a Time

Remember that show, from the 70's? I used to love that show! I think I understand, a little better now, why they would call it One Day at a Time. The mom, who was a divorcee (an interesting word to me back then, when I was not even a pre-teen yet and didn't fully understand the facts of life--another great show, by the way!), was the main focus of the show, trying to get through life with her two teenage daughters in a period where liberated women were still a novelty. Well, obviously, I don't have the same issues as hers (thank goodness my daughters aren't teenagers yet, and where in the world would I be without my fabulous husband???), but I understand the sentiment.
Okay, I'll admit, I've had a rough few days. I tried keeping a stiff upper lip to those I don't speak with that frequently, but to a chosen few, there were definitely bouts of me crying and complaining, just certain I wouldn't make it through this newborn stage. Lucky for me, I have a GREAT support system! I couldn't hope to get over this hurdle without my husband and friends and family. Thanks to those of you who have listened and given me words of encouragement, etc. I really do appreciate you all so very much!
I spoke with my mother the other day--on one of my 'good' days--and she talked a bit about how she had my older brother when she and my father were stationed in Chicago, while Dad was in the Army. She didn't know anyone, other than a few co-workers (and I think she'd started a new job shortly before having my brother, so it wasn't like these were people she'd known for long), and of course there was no family around. She gave breastfeeding a try, but there were no lactation consultants in those days, like I'm blessed to have today. She didn't have her mother there to help her work through it until my brother was at least a week old (at that kind of time, every moment of every day matters... if you lose a week when you're learning to breastfeed, it's a pretty substantial loss). Plus, she'd never had a baby before. Anyone who's had a baby must know how important it is to have help, from whoever offers! I am so impressed that my Mom made it through that difficult time and even went on to have two more children!!! (I might have given up after one!)
I determined the other day (and the few mothers I've spoken to about this have agreed) that part of why women are so hormonal after giving birth is to help them forget what these few weeks, even months, are like.... We forget so that we'll go on to have more babies. If we didn't forget the hard times (or at least, if the memories didn't grow kind of hazy as time goes on), nobody would ever have more than one child. Thank goodness for the hormones and the ability to forget the bad stuff and just remember the good stuff!
And so, my point is that I'm doing better now (still have the same basic issues--tired, sore, emotional--but to a slightly lesser degree, and getting better every day). Also, I received some great advice from a wonderful friend of mine. I was in the middle of crying and complaining about the discomfort I was feeling, and my friend said, "You're so focused on breastfeeding for a whole year..." and I said, "Well, I've decided to focus on getting through the first six weeks." And she paused a moment, then said, "Tracy, you need to focus on TODAY. Get through today. That's all you need to do." She was right. I can't possibly hope to make it six weeks or a year if I'm not able to get through today... and taking it one day at a time makes it so much easier than having that huge goal hanging over my head. So that's where I am now--taking it one day at a time.

1 comment:

Bridget said...

I am so sorry you are having some rough days. Please call and cry on my shoulder whenever. I am so glad you have so many wonderful people to lean on. I was very emotional after Ryan was born. I was staying home for the first time, my friends had older children they were busy with and Jim was working a ton. I remember locking myself in the bathroom and making Jim take the baby on a walk so I could just cry my eyes out. I thought for sure I was a total failure as a mother. Those were some hard days, but I made it. I KNOW you WILL get through this. Your are such a strong and amazing person.I love you tons. I will call soon.