About Me

My photo
I grew up in Small Town, Nebraska, feeling sheltered by the 'safety' of it all. When I moved to Big City, Nebraska, I felt like the world was my oyster. However, I soon felt like there was much more for me Out There... I moved to Chicago, thinking I was done with this 'little' state. It took living in a true big city to realize that Lincoln is just an oversized small town... and it's where I belong! I'm blessed to have a wonderful husband who understands me and all my oddities. My kids are young enough to still think I'm cool. Beyond that, who cares, right?

Friday, February 10, 2006

Everybody's talkin' 'bout bagism!

"All we are saying.... is give peace a chance!" Actually, everybody's not talking about bagism (whatever that was, John Lennon!), everybody's not talking about anything. Everybody's all about agism, it seems like. I can't get over how many people point out how "old" I am... unless, of course, I'm talking to people older than me. Then I notice that they're in the same boat--that I'm the one making THEM feel older. Except with me, it's not a conscious thing. (At least, I don't TRY to do it consciously... maybe once in a great while I'll make a quick remark or quip... but mostly, I try to be more considerate about that.) But I work with, or sometimes volunteer with, younger people--as in teenagers and young adults. It's frustrating to me how big of an issue my age is. It's not like I'm going out socializing with this younger crowd. I just happen to spend a little bit of time with them, at work or during these volunteer events. My question is: WHY is it such a big deal all of a sudden? When I was a teenager or young adult, if I was around older people, I don't think I made such an issue out of it. Is it possible that I did, and I was just so clueless about what I was doing? Can I be so callous? Perhaps I'm STILL doing it, to people that are older than me now... and I'm STILL not aware of it. Geez, I hope I can be a little more thoughtful than that! Maybe I shouldn't have even written this--my apologies to anyone older than me! (And to those of you who are younger than me: take a lesson--we don't like having it pointed out that we're older!)

No comments: