About Me

My photo
I grew up in Small Town, Nebraska, feeling sheltered by the 'safety' of it all. When I moved to Big City, Nebraska, I felt like the world was my oyster. However, I soon felt like there was much more for me Out There... I moved to Chicago, thinking I was done with this 'little' state. It took living in a true big city to realize that Lincoln is just an oversized small town... and it's where I belong! I'm blessed to have a wonderful husband who understands me and all my oddities. My kids are young enough to still think I'm cool. Beyond that, who cares, right?

Thursday, November 30, 2006

We're Counting Down

Since today is almost over, I feel safe in saying I've got 28 days left until the baby comes. Two days after Christmas. I am really getting ready. I mean, I don't sleep so well at night anymore, my feet haven't been their normal shape or size for weeks, and I've got a chest-cold on top of it all (but I keep saying, I'd rather have a chest-cold than the stomach flu!).... Still, I really enjoy all the movement within my tummy. Baby is still very active, and it's entertaining to have the girls lay their hands on me when he's moving around--it's not so much kicking as it is shifting or rearranging. The girls have gotten much more comfortable, too, talking to him through my belly. They love the idea that he'll recognize their voices when he gets out, just from hearing them while he's in there.
We've got the baby's room ready (well, I'd like to get a different curtain rod for the valance that matches the crib bedding, and we need a little bit more border, but everything important is taken care of), we've got diapers, clothes, etc.
I've gone from people thinking I'm having twins (I'm so huge) to people asking if I'm "going to make it" until Dec. 27th. I want to scream "Yes! I'm going to make it! Do you realize that's having the baby a week and a half early?!?" Hormones.... But really, I can't believe I've forgotten how people are towards pregnant women. All the unsolicited comments and advice. I wish people would just stick to rubbing my belly.
I've been trying to get everything in order for Christmas. I got about 85% of the Christmas shopping done in one day, and I'm almost ready to get my Christmas cards out--no postcards this year! I'd like to get everything done as soon as possible (I'm already way ahead of the game compared to past years), so that I can just kind of relax that last couple of weeks before Christmas. I won't be able to really travel anywhere, and my energy level seems to be steadily decreasing. (Last night I went to bed at 8:00--before the girls!)
It's so surreal, trying to imagine what life is going to be like after the baby arrives. I mean, it's not the first time for me, obviously, but it's been nearly six years since I've had a little baby. Going from being so big and feeling the constant movement in my belly, being tired all the time but at least being able to catch sleep whenever I can.... to no more movement within my belly, being able to sleep in any position again, but not catching much sleep at all... I know a lot of people who are pretty active and social right after they have a baby, but I'm thinking (if this is anything like having my girls) I'll be a bit of a hermit for a while.
The countdown is on!

1 comment:

Bridget said...

Can't wait to see that new baby of yours. He will be just gorgeous!